Geographic Information System (GIS) and satellite-based Remote Sensing (RS) have greatly improved our ability to collect, store, analyse and utilise geographical information. GIS and RS is a system of hardware, software and procedures designed for support, capture, management, manipulation, analysis, modelling and display of spatially referenced (geographical) data. The terms ‘geo-informatics system’ or ‘geomatics’ are used interchangeably. GIS and RS professionals finds career opportunities in environmental impact assessment, biodiversity assessment, natural resource management, environmental modelling, town planning, public utility work and many socio-economic development programmes. GIS professionals make the geographic information accessible to scientists, planners, decision makers, managers and to general public. The knowledge of geo-informatics is becoming a driving force behind the overall socio-economic development of the nation.
Geo-informatics services are growing by 10-15% per annum. There is great demand for GIS professionals in 150 GIS companies in India any many other global companies. Geo-information system have a variety of uses viz. agriculture, archaeology, environment, geology, health, land information system, military, urban and rural development, transpiration, telecommunication, power, water resource, natural and man made disasters, oil and natural gas, banking and insurance, business geographics, mobile mapping, etc GIS and RS has application in resoruce managment especially of water, land, soil, vegetation, etc. There is a wide gap in demand and supply of GIS professionals. India is the one of the most preferred outsourcing destination for GIS related work in the world.
Salary based on training, experience and qualification. In general, salaries in private field are above average than in government organizations. The salaries for those working in geoinformatics are quite good as compared to many other fields.The salary range in United States is between $31,387 for an entry-level analyst to $83,333 for a GIS supervisor.
Graduation or post-graduation in science stream with good training programme is GIS is essential. The knowlege of Geography, information technology is preferred. B.A.or M.A. geography students can also make good career in Geoinformatics.
- Remote sensing, database programming, photogrammetry, image processing, digital cartography and automated mapping
- Knowledge of two or more GIS packages.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Good documentation skills.
- "Hands-on" experience
- Good analytical skills.
- Problem solving skills
- Good knowledge of cartography, GIS, database management and programming.
If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Geo-informatics.
- Do I have good sense of space and dimensions?
- Do I have knowledge of GIS packages?
- Do I have perceptive and probing mind?
- Do I have ability to handle enormous amount of data?
- Do I like to travel frequently?
- Am I ready to bear inconvenience if you are in remote areas?
- Do I like systematic way of working?
- Do I like to work for several hours (8-12hrs or more) per day in a lab?
- Do I have analysing and interpreting skills?
- Do I read latest scientific news, books and research magazines?
- Do I have a creative mind and deep thinking?
- Do I have ability of keen observation?
- Am I ready to learn and adopt new techniques?
- Do I like to work as a team?
- Do I have good knowledge of cartography?
- Am I good in database management and software programming?
- Do I have like to learn statistical analysis?
- Do I have problem solving ability?
- Do I have good communication skills?
- Agriculture: Mixed-crop discrimination and inventory, large area crop inventory and crop stress detection monitoring.
- Forest: Types and species discrimination, forest stock mapping and biomass estimation.
- Environment: Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and environmental planning.
- Soil resources: Soil mapping and erosion prone mapping.
- Geology: Geological mapping, geomorphologic mapping, terrain and cadastral mapping
- Water Resources: Surface water monitoring and ground water targeting.
- Disaster: Flood damage assessment, flood relief measures, etc.
- Military management: GIS playes role in scheduling and fighting of wars as well rebuilding war-torn communities.
- Business applications: For finding offending taxpayers, developing pizza delivery routes, setting up insurance rates, etc.
- Public sector organisations: ISRO, NRSA, NIC, urban developmental authorities and municipal bodies employ GIS trained personnels.
- Natural resource management.
- Local and municipal planning and development.
- Emergency management:
- Transportation management.
- Socio-Economic development.
- Urban development.
- Public utility works.
- Cartographic designer
- Consultant: A consultant's primary duties are the complete analysis, design and documentation of a project.
- Database administrator.
- Geo-Spatial Software Engineer
- GIS analysts:
- GIS Analyst-Environmental
- GIS Application Specialist
- GIS Business Analyst
- GIS Data Specialist
- GIS digitisers/GIS operators
- GIS Mapping Assistant
- GIS Mapping Technician
- GIS Programmer
- GIS project manager
- GIS technicians/GIS engineers
- Geo-informatics solution consultancy.
- Out sourcing Geoinformatics services.
- EIA consultant.
- Geoinformatics centres: Universities, Space Application Centres, Birla Institute of Technology, NRSA, etc.
- Central Government organizations/agencies: NESAC, RRSAC,ISRO, ADRIN, IARI, ICAR, etc.
- Schools, Colleges and Universities:
- Overseas firms: USA, Canada, Netherlands, Switzerland, China, Malaysia, France, Germany, Australia, etc.
- Private sector firms: Telecommunication companies, oil industry, transportation industry, etc.
- Government agencies and local authorities: Departments like Agriculture, Geology, Forest, Town-planning, etc.
- Newspaper/magazines: Geoinformatics columnist
- Educational content development firms: Content developer, Expert, etc.
Companies providing job opportunities
- CyberTech Systems and Software Ltd., Mumbai
- ESRI India, New Delhi
- Fugro Survey India Ltd, Mumbai.
- Geofiny Technologies Private Limited, Chennai
- Geographis (India) Pvt. Ltd., Ahmedabad.
- INCA Informatics Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi
- Lavasa Corporation Limited, Pune.
- Magnasoft Consutancy Services, Bangalore
- Reliance Communication Pvt. Ltd.
- Speck Spatial Tech Ltd.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.
Courses after 12th standard
- B.E.(Geoinformatics) Duration: 4 years Eligibility: Higher second class in 10+2 Mode of admission: Common entrance test Institute: Institute of Remote Sensing at Anna University, Chennai. Further details: www.annauniv.edu
- Diploma in Geoinformatics Institute: Symbiosis Society Senapati Bapat rd. Pune-1. www.symbiosissociety.org
Courses after Graduation:
- B.Sc. (Applied) in GIS and RS. Duration: 1 year Eligibility: Minimum 50% marks in the qualifying examination viz., B.Sc./B.Ag./B.A. (in mathematics/statistics) B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch./ B.A. (in geography) Institute: Pune University www.unipune.ernet.in
- M.Sc (Geoinformatics and Geohazards) Duration: 2 years Institute: Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) National Remote Sensing Agency Dept of Space, Govt. of India, Dehradun (India) www.iirs-nrsa.gov.in
- M.Sc. Geomatics Duration: 2 years Eligibility: Common entrance test Institute: Symbiosis Geomatics Institute, Pune. www.symbiosisgeoinformatics.in
- M.Sc. Geoinformatics Duration: 2 years Eligibility: Common entrance test Institute: Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi, Jharkhand Kolkatta and Jaipur. www.bitmesra.ac.in
- M.Sc. Geoinformatics and remote sensing Duration: 2 years Institute: M.D.S. University, Ajmer, Rajasthan. www.mdsuajmer.com
- M.Sc. Geoinformatics Duration: 2 years Eligibility: Students having obtained minimum 50% marks in the qualifying examination viz., B.Sc./B.Ag./B.A. (in mathematics/statistics) B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch./ B.A. (geography) Institute: Pune University. www.unipune.ernet.in
- M.Tech: Duration: 2 years Eligibility: Common entrance test Institute: IIT Mumbai, IIT Kanpur, www.iitk.ac.in Roorkee University, REC Warangal Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi, Jharkhand Jawaharlal Nehru Technical University (JNTU), Hyderabad. www.jntu.ac.in
- M.Tech (RS & GIS) Institute: Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) National Remote Sensing Agency Dept of Space, Govt. of India, Dehradun-248001 (India) www.iirs-nrsa.gov.in
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) Eligibility: M.Sc. Duration: 2-6 years Mode of admission: NET/CSIR entrance. Or Under research projects or self funded
Centers for Ph.D:
Post-Graduate Diploma RS & GIS Institutes: IIRS, Dehradun www.iirs-nrsa.gov.in and Allahabad University
- MSc (Remote Sensing and GIS): Institute: School of Studies in Distance Education (SOSDE) (Jiwaji University),Madhya Pradesh www.idejug.com
- MSc. (Geoinformatics) The Global Open University, Distance Education.Tamil Nadu, Chennai and Annamalai University Directorate of Distance Education, Annamalainagar (Tamil Nadu).
- MBA in Geoinformatics Periyar Institute of Distance Education, Mumbai
- M.Sc. In Geomatics Sikkim Manipal University Directorate of Distance Education and Bangalore University- Directorate of Correspondence Courses & Distance.
- Allahabad University, Allahabad, UP. www.aaidu.org
- Birla Institute of Technology. www.bits-pilani.ac.in
- Indian Agriculture Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi, www.iari.res.in
- Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR). www.icar.org.in
- Indian Institute of Remote Sensing and Sensing (IIRS), Dehradun. www.iirs-nrsa.gov.in
- Indian Institute of Technology(lIT), Roorkee, Kanpur, Kharagpur
- ISRO, Bangalore. www.isro.org
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technical University (JNTU), Hyderabad. www.jntu.ac.in
- M.D.S. University, Ajmer. www.mdsuajmer.com
- National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA), Balanagar Hyderabad www.nrsa.gov.in
- Regional Remote Sensing Application Center (RRSAC), Kharagpur, Dehradun, Jodhpur, Nagpur and Bangalore, www.isro.org/rrssc/index.html
- Space Application Center (SAC), Ahmedabad and New Delhi. www.sac.gov.in
Many reputed institutes conducts entrance examinations so as to test the aptitute for the Geoinformatics.
Abroad degrees and scholarships
Fellowships and scholarships
- Geo-Spatial Software
- GIS - Enviroment
- GIS Town development
- GIS Business