Geography is the science of earth. It literally means 'to describe or write about the earth'. Geographers are scientists who study about the physical details of the environment, its effects on human and wildlife, weather and climate patterns, economics and culture. There are different branches in geography viz. physical geography, human geography, environmental geography, and many more.
Geography as a career provides multiple job options. With the increased use of satellite technology and Geographical Information System, geography is becoming a more promising career option than it was ever before. The GIS is a computer based information system which is used to digitally represent and analyse the geographic features present on the earth surface.
Geographers provide their services in diverse fields. There are comparatively few geographers so they are in high demand at national and international level. The remuneration depends on the potential, experience, seniority and type of organisation. Generally private companies pay awesome wage along with other benefits, when compared with the government and public organisation. In the field of geography, a qualified person can expect a starting salary somewhere around Rs. 15,000 - 25,000 per month. The senior persons in private sector may draw more than Rs.1,20, 000 per month. Consultants also get attractive consultancy fees.
Candidates who have passed 10+2 apply for the bachelor’s course in Geography which is offered in both arts and science stream (i.e B.A Geography and B.Sc. Geography). For the degree courses, there is an entrance test (only in reputed colleges) in which the aptitude of aspirants is checked for the specialized study of Geography. For postgraduate course in geography is graduation in geography is a prerequisite. Computer skills are the much needed qualification in the field of geography.
- Perceptive and probing mind.
- Keen observations.
- Analytical and logical thinking.
- Good communication skill.
- Physically fit and be healthy to work in any situation & locale.
- Enjoy travelling.
- Work independently.
- Ability to work orderly, patiently and methodically.
- Good documentation skills.
- A passion for field work and laboratory work.
- Compatibility with computers.
- Problem solving, analysing and interpreting skills.
- Ability to handle huge data.
If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Geography.
- Do I like to study rocks, soil, plants, animals, rivers and oceans?
- Do I have perceptive and probing mind?
- Do I have ability to handle enormous amount of data?
- Do I like to travel frequently?
- Am I ready to bear inconvenience if I am in remote areas?
- Do I love systematic way of working?
- Do I enjoy laboratory environment as well as field work?
- Do I have ability to work independently?
- Do I have analysing and interpreting skills?
- Do I accept failure in experiment as a challenge?
- Do I read latest scientific news, books and research magazines?
- Do I have a creative mind and deep thinking?
- Do I study for 10-14 hours per day as normal routine?
- Do I have keen observation?
- Am I ready to learn and adopt new techniques?
- Do I like to work as a team?
- Am I physically fit and be healthy to work in any situation and locale?
- In the age of satellite technology and GIS there are multiple career options for qualified and able geographer.
- Geographers work with various government departments and research institutes.
- Geographers get career opportunities in NGOs and other developmental agencies that are engaged in population studies, rural development and environmental issues.
- Teaching in schools/colleges/universities is a good career option.
- Travel and tourism provides better career opportunities for those having sound back ground of Geography.
- Text book and map publishers, travel agencies, real estate developers, communication and transportation companies employ Geographers.
- Cartographer: He/she makes maps, charts, globes and models.
- Surveyor: Surveyors map the surface of the earth through mathematical observations and field work. He/she can join the Survey of India or state Survey Departments or Private organizations.
- Drafter: He/she associate closely with engineers and architectures. It involves planning, housing and development projects in terms of their location and utilization.
- Government employer: Central government agencies employ geographers for mapping, intelligence work and remote sensing interpretation. State and local governments employ geographers on planning and development commissions.
- Urban and regional planner: Concerned with planning, housing and development projects with respect to their location and utilization of available land-space.
- GIS specialist: City governments, county agencies and other government agencies and private groups are often in need of experienced GIS professionals.
- Climatologist: Agencies viz. National Weather Service, news media, the Weather Channel and other government entities occasionally need climatologist. A geographer with experience and vast coursework in meteorology and climatology serves as the best climatologist.
- Transportation manager: The regional transit authorities or shipping, logistics and transportation companies requires in transportation geography.
- Environmental Manager: The environmental assessment, clean-up and management companies require a geographer for environmental impact reports. It's often a wide-open field with tremendous growth opportunities.
- Science (Geography) writer: One can serve as a science writer or a travel writer for a magazine or newspaper.
- Researcher: Many Government and non-government institutes along with research centres offers several career options for qualified geographers with numerous specializations.
- Urban planner.
- Teacher/Professor: The college teachers, school teachers and university teacher. Depending upon the experience and degrees obtained.
- Demographer: In government and research organizations.
- Government officer: Geographical Survey of India/State and Central government provides job opportunities.
- Gieographical Survey of India.
- Metrological departemts.
- Private companies.
Courses after 12th standard:
- B.A./BSc (Geography) Eligibility: 10+2 pass. Duration: 3 years. Centres: Reputed colleges in India.
Courses after Graduation:
- M.Sc (Geography) Eligibility: 10+2 pass. Duration: 3 years. Centres: Reputed colleges and Universities in India
- M.Sc. Geo Informatics Eligibility: B.A./B.Sc Geography Duration: 2 years. Centre: Osmania University Hyderabad www.osmania.ac.in
- Ph.D (Geography) Specialized courses (Cartography, Urban and Town Planning, Regional Planning, Physiography, Climatology, Oceanography, Population Studies, Economic and Environmental Geography). Eligibility: M.Sc/M.A. Geography Duration: 2 years. Centres: Reputed Universities in India
- Ph.D. Geo Magnetism Eligibility: M.Sc/M.A. Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), Navi Mumbai www.iigm.res.in
- P.G Certified course in Geo-informatics & Remote Sensing Duration: 6 months Centre: Institute of Geo-informatics & Remote Sensing, Kolkata http://www.igrs-gis.com
- Post Graduate Diploma in Geographical Cartography Osmania University, Hyderabad www.osmania.ac.in
- Post Graduate Diploma in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Science Punjab University, www.puchd.ac.in
- Aligarh Muslim University; Aligarh.www.amu.ac.in
- Amity University, Noida www.amity.edu
- Banaras Hindu University,Varansi www.bhu.ac.in
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi www.bitmesra.ac.in
- Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology, Ahmedabad www.cept.ac.in
- Institute of Geo-informatics & Remote Sensing, Kolkata www.igrs-gis.com
- Jamia Millia University, New Delhi www.jmi.nic.in
- M. S. University of Baroda, Baroda www.msubaroda.ac.in
- SNDT Women's University, Mumbai www.sndt.ac.in
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata www.caluniv.ac.in
- University of Delhi, New Delhi www.du.ac.in
- IAS Civil Services: Geography as optional subject.
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission Examination:
- JNU Entrance Exam www.jnu.ac.in
- Delhi University Entrance Exam www.delhi-university.in
- UGC- NET Entrance Exam
- Jamia Milia Islamia Geography Entrance Exam www.jmi.ac.in